Making a Difference in the Places We Call Home
As a credit union, giving back is what we do. Our members give us the financial strength and support we need to make a difference. We, in turn, give our time, talents and financial support to our community. We're committed to supporting the communities we serve through financial investments as well as volunteer services by our staff.
Want to receive updates right to your phone?
Text ELECTRO to 74994 to sign up for Text Notices.1 We'll remind you when it's close to time to submit your application so you don't miss out.
Let's Work Together to Make St. Louis Even Better
Download your Power of Comm(unity) grant application today and get started! Learn more about the requirements and past recipients below
2020 Power of Comm(unity) Grant Recipients
Our Power of Comm(unity) program challenges individuals and groups in St. Louis to submit their project ideas, no matter the size, that will support local solutions to local community needs.
Congratulations to our 2020 Power of Community grant recipients!
Youth Be Heard Strengths-Based Writing Program (SBWP)
The goal of the SBWP is to increase youth self-worth and instill belief in their own value and potential to make a positive impact on others. The selected site for SBWP implementation is East St. Louis High School, located in East St. Louis, Illinois. The grant will assist with implementation of the program.
Learn more about this empowering youth program - Interview with Renee Childs
Southeast Ferguson Community Association (SEFCA) Unity Center
The goal of the SEFCA Unity Center is to create a positive and trusted environment where residents can learn basic skills, health habits and have access to resources. These free resources will be offered to residents of the Ferguson, Jennings, Dellwood and Berkley communities. The Unity Center will offer a computer lab, a self-study lounge with free WiFi, a childcare room, a classroom for workshops and a teachable kitchen. Canfield Green Apartments has donated two of their units to be converted into the Unity Center. The grant will support the fund-raising efforts to complete the conversion construction.
Be inspired by community support happening in Southeast Ferguson - Interview with LaTasha Brown
Adopt-A-Block/Oakmont Townhomes Community Garden
The goal of the Adopt-A-Block/Oakmont Townhomes Community Garden is to provide fresh, safe and affordable herbs, fruits and vegetables to the residents and volunteers of Oakmont Townhomes and surrounding area in Southeast Ferguson. The POC grant will support the efforts to build the garden and to plant and maintain it.
See the amazing community garden at Oakmont Townhomes - Interview with Tierra Green
What is the Power of Comm(unity)?
We're challenging you to make your community an even better place to live, work and play. We believe one of the most vital parts of any community is its people — and it's these people who can make a positive impact on the community. Bring us your ideas on how to improve your community because together we are stronger, and even small ideas can make a big impact.
This program supports compelling projects, no matter how big or small, that look to provide solutions to community issues through:
- Change and Innovation
- Impact-driven with data and reporting
What the Power of Community is Not
The Power of Community does not support sponsorships or in-kind donations. Please visit our Power of Partnership page for these types of requests.
Power of Comm(unity) Grant Requirements and Eligibility
A successful Power of Community grant application outlines a program/project that solves a specific problem, bridges a gap or fulfills a specific need in the community. Grant applications may include a request for a combination of financial investment, volunteer hours and/or credit union staff resources.
- The stated goal must tie to a specific program/project that has a measurable impact on the community
- The program/project must support:
- A specific, connected set of activities, with a beginning and an end
- Explicit objectives
- A predetermined cost estimate
- Measurable results
- Eligible projects/programs include, but are not limited to:
- Health and Social Services
- Individual or Family Wellness
- Neighborhood Stability and Revitalization
- Other Community Development Needs
Who Can Apply?
Any individual or organization living or working within Electro's defined field of membership.
Other Important Information
- Maximum Award is $2,000 per project
- An individual or organization may submit additional grant requests upon completion of any previous grant-funded project and the submission of a final report
- Funding is awarded based on:
- Demonstrated need
- Availability of funds
- Electro's Community Development budget for each year
- If a project request is approved, the grant recipient must implement the project within 12 months
- Grant recipients will be required to post and share their projects on Electro's social pages and mention Electro within the posts and shares, as well as press releases or any other public relations involving the project.
- A final report must be submitted within one month of the completion of the project. Reporting details will be issued with approved project proposals. Testimonials, video and success stories are encouraged.
Power of Comm(unity) Grant Process
A volunteer committee composed of Electro staff will review project applications as they are received during the grant application period. The review committee places a priority on proposals which:
- Clearly demonstrate and document a community need to be addressed
- Launch a new program or enhance a current program
- Include an evaluation plan to measure both individual and community impact
- Make a lasting impact on the community
- Includes opportunities for Electro employees to volunteer their time or expertise
- Incorporates community relations and promotion that Electro may participate in (i.e., social media, press releases, physical presence of credit union's support for the project)
1Message and data rates may apply. Enrollment not required to be a member or apply for services. Messages are sent by auto dialer to this mobile #. Promotional texts may be sent as frequently as weekly. Cancel Text Messaging at any time-just text "STOP" to 74994. After you text "STOP" to us, we will send you a message confirming you are unsubscribed. After this, you will no longer receive text messages from us.